So, I weighed myself this morning, mostly to see if what I feel is reality, because, if I’m honest, sometimes it’s not. It was.
The scale says I have gained back everything I lost January-May. Nine lbs that I worked really, unbelievably hard for. I’ll be honest, I’ve been pretty spun up the past couple hours, asking a lot of questions and really giving myself no concrete answers. In a lot of ways, this is completely out of my control, and, as I’ve shared, I don’t want to live my life strict and regimented and in bondage, in ANY area. So, I have goals, and they are realistic and healthy, but I want to achieve them in a way that is not a diet, not a short term burst of effort, after which I’ll return to “normal”, but a sustainable lifestyle. How can I face this frustration with forward motion? For me, that starts with asking some questions.
Ok, so what are some possible reasons that I have gained weight? (Liklihood on a scale from 1-10)
- My period is coming sooooon (8/9)
- Sodium intake over past week or so (7)
- Hormones still jacked from early May kerfuffle (7-9?)
- Overtraining on bike this month (7-can’t help it, I’m having such fun!)
- Turkey sandwich for lunch most days for last few weeks (6?)
- What am I going to wear on vacation that I can feel comfortable and confident in?
- I really need some progress to encourage me to not give up and stay in bed and become depressed.
- If it is hormonal, how long, and what can I do to fix it?
- There is going to be Olive Garden and Birthday cake tomorrow! Waaaah!
What can I do, starting right now, to hopefully get things back on track?
- Lots of water and veggies
- Be really mindful of not overtraining on bike-if a second ride, make sure to stay at a lower intensity, and recover intentionally.
- Make yoga happen!
- Take this week off from sandwiches for lunch? Maybe wait until this is sorted to reintroduce them and watch carefully if there is an effect. *
- Be extra aware of sodium and sugar intake.
- Make a plan for lunch rotation of tasty healthy foods!
- Sodium/muscle soreness related water weight should come off
- Sleep should allow better recovery
- I just feel better when I eat fewer starches, period.
- Exercise performance should improve faster if not overtraining
What can I not control?
- When my period comes
- How fast my body responds
- Get a few comfortable flattering knit dresses and skip shorts?
- Just rock your swimsuits and have FUN! Fun is beautiful!
What am I going to do right now to continue forward momentum toward my goals and not let this funk last longer than the morning?
- Core and arms workout before jumping on my bike.
- Yoga after the bike while the kids eat lunch
- A NAP after I eat (salad with chicken and watermelon gazpacho)
- Serve fruit and veggies with our Breakfast for Dinner tonight!